If you are interested in a modular building for your business but not 100% sure if it's for you? We are an experienced Modular Builder based outside of Hull in East Yorkshire and below we have outlined everything you need to know about modular buildings – including information about what they are, how they’re built and the benefits of of them over traditional structures.
What Is A Modular Building?
Modular building is the term used to describe buildings that are made from one or more pre-fabricated sections (also known as modules). Rather than being constructed on-site like traditional buildings, they are fabricated in a factory in sections (modules) before being assembled on-site to create a temporary or permanent building.
Just as with traditional structures, modular buildings can come in a huge range of sizes and configurations, styles, and finishes. Modules can be put together in a wide range of designs, from single story layouts, to buildings that are multiple storeys high, they are sometimes called prefabricated buildings. Because of this they provide a very high quality product at a very cost effective price.
How Can They Be Used?
Modular buildings can be used in a huge range of applications.
Sectors which benefit from this form of building are:
- Education – classrooms, IT suites, staff rooms, canteens and toilet/shower/changing facilities
- Construction – welfare suites, temporary accommodation, canteens
- Leisure – sport and recreation facilities, gyms, treatment rooms, studios
- Commercial – offices, storage buildings, marketing suites
- Industrial – workshops, storage buildings
- Healthcare – GP surgeries, drop in centres, veterinary practices
- Housing – apartments and hotels
In simple terms, they can be used wherever a traditional building can be used.
What Are The Benefits of Buying Modular Buildings?
They offer a number of advantages over traditional structures. These include:
- They cost significantly less than traditional structures to build, and provide better lifetime value. The building process is faster, requires fewer man hours, and is completed in an efficient factory environment. In addition, modular buildings can be relocated, reused and sold when required.
- Typically, the cost of building a modular structure would be a minimum of 30% cheaper. Those looking to make further savings can also look towards purchasing a used modular building.
- Speed of construction
- Modular construction is significantly faster than traditional building methods. Modular buildings are precision-manufactured inside, in a factory environment – meaning the process isn’t affected by bad weather. Sections can be manufactured at the same time that ground works and foundations are being put in. Once sections are delivered on-site, they can be assembled quickly – sometimes in a matter of days.
- In practice, choosing modular can cut the total construction project time-frame in half.
- Environmental impact
- Building using this technique is inherently ‘greener’ than traditional construction, with buildings producing a significantly smaller carbon footprint over their lifespan.
This is due to:
- The manufacturing process – offsite factory manufacturing improves efficiency, reduces waste and cuts site traffic/project road miles. It takes just a third of the energy to manufacture a modular building as it does to construct a comparable traditional build.
- Thermal efficiency – all modular buildings have to comply with the latest building regulations – and often offer lower running costs and better thermal efficiency than comparable traditional buildings.
- Reusability – modular buildings are flexible and can easily be reused, repaired, converted and moved. Modern modular buildings have a realistic working lifespan of 50 years or more, and at the end of their life, the majority of the materials used in the construction (steel & wood) can be easily recycled.
Why Choose a Modular Building?
Whatever your requirements, there is a new or used modular building available that provides the right solution.
Choose modular for your next building and you will get
- Modular buildings can be used for any construction project, and are available in a huge range of designs, shapes and sizes. Should your requirements change, they can be repurposed, expanded or sold.
- If you need additional capacity fast, a modular building is the most time-efficient solution – a used modular building can be onsite and up and running in a matter of weeks.
- Modular buildings aren’t just a temporary or short term solution. Modern modular buildings have a working lifespan that can be measured in decades (realistically 60+ years), providing an excellent, sustainable long term solution for every requirement. Good quality used buildings can last several decades.
- Value for money
- Going modular can provide huge cost benefits, both in terms of construction and lifetime costs. There is an ever-growing market for used modular buildings – enabling you to recoup costs if you no longer need the structure.
Want to Know More?
Contact our team today on 01482 890705 or email [email protected] or browse through our selection of new buildings and used buildings for sale today.